Thursday, October 1, 2009

Avoidance by Distraction in Chronic Pain Management

When necessary I have learned—and taught many other people—that avoidance by distracting myself will help take the focus off the unpleasant sensation of pain. Earlier this week I traveled to Palm Beach Florida to present at the Moment of Change Interventionist Conference and had a very long travel day due to mechanical problems and weather delays. I was only able to get four hours of sleep and then I woke up with the start of a migraine headache. I had to "practice what I preach" and used avoidance by distraction.

The pain didn’t magically "go away" but it was much less problematic when I focused on something more interesting and exciting for example. In this case I used being fully present to my workshop audience to take the focus off of my pain. When I’m out teaching or training people I can put my entire focus on them. At other times I shared with my friends there about what was going on with them. Then I went for a walk in by the beautiful beach right outside the conference center.

Dose this always work? Of course not. But it does help take the edge off while I implement other nonpharmacological pain management tools or take appropriately prescribed medication in rare instances. My pain management is not a rigid approach but it first and foremost must always protect my recovery. I’m always looking for new ways to live with pain flare ups because sometimes they come at the most inconvenient times.

A final word of caution: Using distracting or avoidance techniques should not be used until you are sure that it won’t make your overall situation worse. I’ve made that particular mistake many times and ended up causing myself more pain than I needed to have. Remember, pain is a signal that something is wrong and needs attention. Unfortunately though, sometimes pain signals get turned on or amplified when no actual damage or danger is present. Telling the difference is a very important part of ongoing chronic pain management.

If you would like to see my upcoming trainings and especially to learn about my 20 hour (three days) Addiction-Free Pain Management® Certification Training on December 7-9, 2009 in Sacramento California designed to teach treatment strategies for people living with chronic pain and coexisting disorders including disorders including addiction please Click Here and scroll down to the December 7-9, 2009 for the description and how to sign up.


You can learn more about the Addiction-Free Pain Management® System at our website http://www.addiction-free.com/ If you are working with people undergoing chronic pain management and want to learn how to develop a plan for managing their chronic pain and coexisting psychological disorders; including depression, addiction and other coexisting psychological disorders effectively; please consider my book Managing Pain and Coexisting Disorders: Using the Addiction-Free Pain Management® System. To purchase this book please Click Here.

To read the latest issue of Chronic Pain Solutions Newsletter please Click here. If you want to sign up for the newsletter, please Click here and input your name and email address. You will then recieve an autoresponse email that you need to reply to in order to finalize enrollment.

No comments:

Post a Comment